27th March 2020
We realise that a huge part of the children’s lives here at school is the daily social interactions they have with their peers. During this time when children will be feeling unsure, confused and out of their usual routine these interactions are vital. We appreciate it is not possible for children to meet with their friends so instead we have made a list of ways children can stay connected with their peers and school over the coming weeks. Some options will require parents to share personal information, only do this if you feel comfortable with it. Of course all screen time should be carefully monitored and only be used with parental permission.
• Use Facetime (with parental supervision) share your mobile number or email address with another parent so your children can call each other-Facetime allows the children to see each other and talk.
• Houseparty App- only add people you want to be able to communicate with. This app allows group video calling, and messaging.
• Email, allow children to send emails to their friends to let them know what that have been doing and share ideas.
• Write letters, Royal Mail are still delivering post, encourage your children to write to their friends and take your daily exercise walking to the nearest post box. The children would be very excited to receive letters back!
• Instagram/facebook the school ‘downhamprep’ has its own Instagram and facebook page where we post useful information for parents, updates of what is going on in school and during this time we are posting a daily challenge for children to take part in at home-we are encouraging you to send photos of these challenges too, we would love to see the exciting things you have been doing!
• School email, you can email the office with questions, photos of what you have been doing with your time. Staff will be forwarded these emails where necessary, or we will print them out for staff to see.
The mental health and well-being of parents and children is important to us at Downham Preparatory School, the children had really been enjoying taking part in our mindfulness sessions each morning. We realise this is not possible for all at home, parents will be busy enough! However we have compiled a list of useful apps, websites, videos for you and your children to access if you wish during this stressful time.
• Resources available at https://www.twinkl.co.uk
• Cosmic yoga https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
• Calming music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXEeAXywCY